vRealize Automation Advanced Designer Service API
XaaS (Advanced Service Designer) Service API Specification
What Is the XaaS REST API?
The advanced service designer (XaaS) REST API enables creation of custom services by exposing any vRealize Orchestrator (vRO) workflow to vRA's Service Catalog to provide custom functionality.
Typical Use Cases
You can use the XaaS REST API to:
Create XaaS Custom Resources, Blueprints, Resource Mappings and Actions.
Import and export XaaS components, such as custom resources, blueprints, and so on, from one vRealize Automation system to another.
Administrative users use the advanced designer service as follows:
Tenant administrators create and manage the workflow subscriptions that are specific to their tenant.
System administrators create and manage system workflow subscriptions.
The created system workflow subscriptions are active for events in any tenant and for system events.
The XaaS domain model includes four basic objects - resource types, resource mappings, service blueprints and resource actions.
A resource type provides an abstraction of a resource from the physical and virtual IT world - a virtual machine, a user, an account, a network card, and so on.
To enable ASD to use resources, you must create a resource type object in XaaS.
A service blueprint is a blueprint for a service. It is based on a vRO workflow, but its request form (used to get input from users of the service) can be customized.
The key feature of service blueprints is that, when you request them, they produce (provision) resources of a spcified resource type.
A resource mapping is a workflow that maps one resource type to another resource type. It allows resource actions to be performed over types that can be mapped.
Like service blueprints, resource actions are built around a vRO workflow. They have a resource as an input, and usually are used to change the state of a resource. They are also referred as "2nd day operations."
Import and Export of Content
XaaS is a provider of content, and if CMS is present, XaaS objects can be registered as content. After an ASD object is registered, it can be exported/imported centrally from CMS. Note that this is not to be confused with ASD internal content management -- this feature is deprecated.
For more detailed usage information on importing and exporting content, see the "Import and Export Content" use case in the "Use Cases" chapter of the vRA Programming Guide.
Workflow subscriptions use the event broker service to monitor the registered services for event messages in vRealize Automation, and then run a specified vRealize Orchestrator workflow when the conditions in the subscription are met.
To configure the subscription, you specify the event topic, the triggering conditions, and the workflow that runs when triggered.
Tenant administrators can create and manage the workflow subscriptions that are specific to their tenant. The system administrator can create and manage system workflow subscriptions. The created system workflow subscriptions are active for events in any tenant and for system events.
Related Sample Code
- VMware vRealize Automation PluginJenkins vRealize Automation Plugin The vRealize Automation Jenkins plugin enables Jenkins to provision vRealize Automation 7 Blueprints. Requirements Jenkins 1.58+ Java 8 to compile plugin or Java 7 ...vRealize Automation JavaDownload
Updated 4 years
- vRealize Automation API Samples for PostmanvRealize Automation API Samples for Postman Overview The vRealize Automation REST API provides consumers and administrators access to all services in its service catalog that support the vRealize Auto ...vRealize Automation POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 1 year
- Project BosphorusProject Bosphorus Background This project is aimed at providing a custom portal framework for vRealize Automation (vRA) along with a reference implementation. It is intended for advanced users/develop ...vRealize Automation Java
Updated 1 year
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Ubuntu 16.04A basic example to install the chef-client via the install.sh from Chef Software. This should be noted that this only requires wget and bash, so this can work for CentOS, RHEL, debian, Ubuntu, and the ...vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Windows using Powershell 3 and upA basic example to install the chef-client via the install.ps1 from Chef Software. This should be noted that this requires Powershell and should work on any version of Windows with Powershell 3+. You ...vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint
- vRA 7 and above prepare_vra_template.ps1Powershell script designed to deploy the needed agents on your windows template. This mimics the prepare_vra_template.sh file for linux and will deploy java, bootstrap and gugent agents from the vRA a ...vRealize Automation PowerShell
- vRA and Ansible Example Integration vRealize Automation vRO Package
- CentOS Base vRA BlueprintSimple vRA Blueprint for 64-bit CentOS 7.0 VMvRealize Automation vRA BlueprintDownload
Updated 4 years
- Kubernetes as a Service BlueprintThis blueprint currently requires RHEL/CENTOS 7 Atomic. I do plan to port this to Photon OS as soon as it is GA. Live demo of this solution here > https://youtu.be/X8QfAQmcVjA Full instructions to in ...vRealize Automation vRA BlueprintDownload
Updated 5 years
- Add Disk and New SCSI AdapaterSimple vRO package that has the workflows needed to deploy a new disk, to the same datastore as the chosen VM while adding the next available SCSI adapter. See this post for the best usagevRealize Orchestrator Plug-in SDK vRO PackageDownload
Updated 7 years
- prepare_vra_template.ps1 7.0.1UPDATED Script - for combined 7.0, 7.0.1, and 7.1 go to https://developercenter.vmware.com/samples?id=1136vRealize Automation PowerShellDownload
Updated 6 years
- Chef Server BlueprintThis is for RHEL/CENTOS7 See my guide here for instruction on importing this to your environment.vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint
- vRealize Automation - Catalog ServicevRealize Automation - Catalog Service The catalog service REST API is designed to be used by the consumers of the service catalog; for example, an end user who wants to request a catalog item would be ...api_vra_catalog vRealize Automation api_vra_composition POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 2 years
- Set given vCAC Property on vSphere VMSets a given vCAC Property on vSphere VM. Input is the vSphere VM Name.vRealize Orchestrator Plug-in SDK vRO Workflow