Windows - Modify Start Menu Layout
- Author: Josue Negron
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date Created: 6/8/2017
- Supported Platforms: Windows 10 Enterprise and Education
- Tested on Windows 10: 1607, 1703 (StartLayoutDevice.xml only supported in 1703)
The StartLayout CSP is used to customized the Start Menu Layout of a device for a uniform look and feel for all of your corporate devices. Once customized users cannot modify the Start Menu.
There are two samples here:
- StartLayoutUser.xml - User based meaning only the managed (AirWatch) user on the device will receive the customized settings.
- StartLayoutDevice.xml - Device based (added in 1703) will apply to all users on the device.
You must update the data within the
<Data> </Data> tags with your exported Start Layout from a pre-staged device.
The Export-StartLayout cmdlet in PowerShell exports the current Start layout in .XML file format. e.g. StartLayoutExported.xml
Once you have your exported XML, you need to serialize and linearize (suggest using the XML Tools Plugin on Notepad++ to do this quickly or any online tool). Basically you need to convert from XML to Text and remove whitespace. e.g. StartLayoutSerializedLinearized.txt
Lastly, you will copy your text and paste it within the
<Data> </Data> tags.
- 6/8/2017: Created Samples for StartLayout CSP