A radio button allows users to select one in a group of options.
- Use radio buttons when the following conditions apply:
- Favor vertical orientation of the buttons for readability. Use horizontal orientation only when vertical space is limited.
- Select the recommended radio button by default. Unless a reason exists otherwise, include the default button as the first item in the set of options.
- If users need additional details to make the correct choice, consider placing the radio buttons in the first column of a datagrid and the details in the remaining columns.
- For the button label:
- Use four words or fewer. If more information is needed, include instructional text below the option.
- Use regular text (not bold text).
- Use sentence-style capitalization and no ending punctuation.
- If you include a group label:
- Write text that describe the nature of the options.
- Use sentence capitalization and end in a colon (:).